From our beginning over forty years ago, MUM has had a strong commitment to sustainability — both its outer and inner values.
Outer sustainability: MUM is fully committed to sustainable practices as one of America’s most green universities (see the list below). In fact, MUM was the first university in the US to offer a BA in Sustainable Living and an MBA in Sustainable Business.
Inner sustainability: We believe there’s more to sustainability than the outer values. The qualities of inner calm, wellness, clarity of mind, and resilience are needed to most effectively fulfill the outer values. All students and faculty at MUM practice the Transcendental Meditation technique to cultivate these qualities.
The Green Facts About MUM:
- Groundbreaking new net-zero Sustainable Living Center
- 95% of food budget spent on local/organic foods
- 100% of dining hall food scraps composted
- 100% of campus grounds maintained organically
- Single-stream recycling stations in dorms
- MUM has a formal sustainability committee
- New construction must be LEED-certified or meet standards of a comparable third-party rating system
- We have a university-wide policy of purchasing office paper with high recycled content
- Public GHG inventory plan
- We employ a sustainability officer
- MUM provides guidance on green jobs
- On track to to have 40% of electricity production needs met from renewable resources by 2018
- Available transportation alternatives: restricting parking, bike share, vanpool, preferred parking
- MUM was the first university in the U.S. to offer a degree in sustainable living
Des Moines Register Article
See also Des Moines Register article about eco-friendly building at MUM
MUM is a member of the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability on Higher Education
MUM is a member of the US Green Building Council